If you’ve ever searched for interesting Massachusetts history videos on YouTube you’ve surely come across the work of M. L. Baron. He’s digitized and uploaded an exceptional collection of videos many of which feature southeastern Massachusetts from the 1920’s on. One thing is certain, many of these videos could be locked in a storage container, damaged by neglect, or worse, not saved at all – his collection being available to the public by his work is certainly a great contribution to the documentation, in its exclusive regional rarity, of not only our times but the times of our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents as well. M. L. Baron is an award winning videographer and photographer. He also operates The West Island Weather Station near the Cape Cod Canal, in Fairhaven, MA.
Below is a video from M. L. Baron’s YouTube Channel on the Hurricane of 1938:
M. L. Baron’s “About Me” from www.westislandweather.com : MLBaron is a Certified SkyWarn Weather Spotter (ID 11-070) and maintains the West Island Weather Station KA1WBH. He comes from a decorated military family . An accomplished artist, Baron practices in varied media from the old American Folk Art of Scrimshaw, to award winning videos and photography. He is also a recognized scrimshaw & antique ivory appraiser specializing in counterfeit detection. Living on West Island, Fairhaven,MA offers an abundance of subject matter. With every changing season along the shore or inside the West Island State Reservation, an opportunity for a special photo is never hard to come by. This small island is located near the Cape Cod Canal and Martha’s Vineyard, MA. West Island is small enough to fit inside New York’s Central Park.
The Gay Head was built in 1891 in Philadelphia for the New Bedford, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamboat Co.
The Gay Head was 701 tons, 203 feet long, 34 foot beam, a draft of 5½ feet, with encased paddlewheels.
It was the largest sidewheeler ever operated by the company.
According to a 1961 Vineyard Gazette article:
“Her social hall, ladies’ saloon and toilet rooms were “all fitted in the Neapolitan style, with gold trimmings.” The woodwork was of cherry, and the side seats in the cabins were covered with maroon plush upholstering. The social hall deck was laid with black walnut and maple – its size, too, was imposing, for its length was 50 feet. Above the main deck were the forward promenade and upper saloon, reached fore and aft by “richly carved staircases.” Five state rooms on each side were furnished with willow furniture. The Gay Head could boast a hurricane deck extending from the stern to the pilot house; this was something earlier steamers had lacked.”
The Gay Head was commanded in 1891 by Capt. A. P. Bartow and Capt. G. L. Daggett, and later by Capt. Charles H. Fishback of Nantucket, Capt. Charles H. Coulter (resigned 1909), and Capt. J. W. Merriman.
In July 1898, the Gay Head collided with the steamer while crossing Vineyard Sound in a dense fog. The Nantucket’s bow was badly damaged in the accident.
The Gay Head operated until 1924, after 33 years of operation.
During the Victorian era most families did not have photos of themselves or their children. To remember the face of a lost loved one a family would hire a photographer to take a photograph of the deceased family member with the deceased person or a photograph of the deceased person alone. In many cases they’d stage a scene where the deceased person was set up into a position to feign life. In other cases photographs were taken of the deceased person on their death bed or in their casket – and in still other cases a parent might cover themselves in a banket and hold the deceased person in position.
From the Medway, MA historical collection. These films were recorded by Stanley Chilson from Franklin, MA.