Plymouth – Town Square & Burial Hill Tour

The Pilgrims held Christian services onboard the Mayflower and then at a fort atop Burial Hill from 1621-1648. The fort served as a meeting house as well as the Plymouth General Court. In 1648 the first of five church buildings (built in 1684, 1744, and 1831) on the town square was constructed. In 1899 the current granite Romanesque building was constructed to replace the 1831 wooden Gothic structure. The church is currently an active Unitarian congregation.

Burial Hill is the final resting place of several Pilgrims. It is located off Leyden Street, the first street in Plymouth.

READ: Epitaphs from Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, from 1657 to 1892 (1892) (illustrations) by Bradford Kingman (1831-1903)

Copyright © 2017